Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access vs VB

Status
Not open for further replies.

gymbeef

Technical User
Sep 18, 2002
US
Not sure which forum to put this under but...

I have an application I've been working on for some time, which I plan to distribute as a stand-alone executable. It doesn't really involve a lot of data, in fact, its not really a database application, but I started doing it in Access because that was what I knew at the time. I've become more familiar with standard Visual Basic since then, so here's my question:

Is it worth converting to and\or rewriting my ap in VB instead of keeping it in Access? Is there anything to be gained in terms of features, stability, maintenance, speed, etc.? What would be the pros and cons between each development platform?

Thanks.

If you keep it in Access all users will need Access to run it. If they have Access already anyway, then that's not a real big deal. But if they need to buy Access to run your software, that isn't cheap.

It's more professional to distribute an standalone executable over a database app. If this is going to customers that may be a concern. I find it easier to maintain my own code than try to fumble through Access. Also, Access has many quirks that you shouldn't have to deal with if you write it all in VB.

That being said, I don't really understand what it is that you are doing. Why did you use Access in the first place? What aspects of Access do you use? Also, I have never programmed a standalone app in VB, only in C++ and Java. So here is where someone else can step in.

Rob

You will have to stay with access if you use the following:
1. Reports
2. Bound forms (can be worked around)
3. Continuous bound forms (more difficult to work around)
4. extensive use of JET security (basically you will have to code in a way to "add/edit/remove users" and assign/de-assign permissions--but with simpler uses of the security, you won't have to worry about these features)
5. The ability for your users to create reports of their own in a (relatively) familiar environment--this often does not come into play, but it can be critical

I ran out of features. I'm sure I'm missing something...

If you don't think you need any of the above, there should be few problems switching to VB.

There is always my favorite reason for re-writing something; Do it better or more efficient the 2nd time, or learn new technologies.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back