Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access violation

Status
Not open for further replies.

skatz

Programmer
Aug 8, 2001
US
I have a Delphi 3 application which works fine on most computers - Win95, 98, NT, but on one NT user's (maybe more, I'm not sure) machine, it can't seem to run the reports. On further testing, it seems that it bombs when it tries to create the form which contains the QuickReport using the Application.CreateForm method.

The user gets an Access Violation of Address xxxxxxx, write of Address yyyyyyy type of message.

Any ideas why a CreateForm would do that? Is it because the form contains a QuickReport? What can I do to fix it, given that it works with other NT users.

Thanks for your help.

hi,

Is their a default printer installed on this computer? If you use qreport it searches for a printer. If their isn't any printer it will create an error.

Steph

Steph:

Printers was definitely the place to start. I found that her default is a networked HP 4000 (via an NT server and a JetDirect). When I change the default, the report runs, but as long as that printer (which is of course the closest to her office) is the default, I get the error.

Any thoughts as to whether this is a printer driver issue vs. a network issue? Being in a corporate NT environment, I'm not sure what I can actually change in this case.

- Seth

hi,

I'm not certain about this one, but i tnink it has to do with the implemention of the jet driver in a network. Qreport wants to get a default papersize from the printer when the form is created. If the default printer doesn't return a default papersize it has no idea how large the report will be and the whole thing crashess.
Perhaps you can solve this problem programticaly by setting a default papersize when you create the form.

Steph

Problem solved!

Since the problem looked like QuickReport, I did a search for that keyword. Came up with some messages mentioning updating the QuickReport, which I did - to QuickReport 2.0K from the site.

I'm not sure what else it fixed, but it definitely took care of this problem.

Thanks for your help.

- Seth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back