Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access version Compatibility 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkdobs

Technical User
Sep 22, 2005
CA
I designed an application in Access 2k but found there was a bug in 2k that wouldn't let me copy/combine parts into a new mdb file ... I have now painfully taken and rebuilt all of my modules in Access 2k2 in 2k format ... The application works fine on XP Pro and Access 2k2 ... the moment I pull this app onto a Win 2k Access 2k machine the OS crashes the Access program creating a Watson log file.

I recompiled, compacted and cleaned both the FE and BE files ... moved them back to the development machine and still works there but not on the Win 2K machine

It is not clear if the issue is OS or APP related however Access 2k doesn't have a reference for the Access 10.0 object library ... I would expect this would cause a compile error.

Is there a way to add the object 10 library to the w2k machine and or find out what function is causing this crash?

bkdobs said:
[blue]I designed an application in Access 2k but found there was [purple]a bug in 2k that wouldn't let me copy/combine parts into a new mdb file[/purple] . . . [/blue]
Really! . . . could you describe this [blue]copy/combine[/blue] bug?

[blue]References[/blue] are one of the first to dropout when attempting to compile on different version platforms.

Also [blue]access references[/blue] are not backward compatible. [blue]Access 10.0 object ibrary[/blue] for example, should'nt be used by any predecessors.

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Taking two mdb files created in Access 2K and merging them into a 3rd mdb file caused the modules to become corrupted ... forms would not load because the modules could not be read/accessed ... When I asked about this issue, someone on tek-tips said there is a known bug with Access 2k ... I tried at least a dozen different merges with the same results before looking for an answer ... since switching to 2k2 I haven't had any more issues with merging files so just passing on my experience please don't shoot the messenger.

Now having run into another issue with Access 2k I would love to just upgrade away from this version but its not my call.

My current project, the modules compile in 2k with the 9.0 object library so not sure why this mdb file is crashing ... I can load it and run the main form which has 2 subforms ... the moment I try to launch another form using the standard open form button logic the OS says that Access performed an illegal operation and it shuts down.
I can run queries view all the modules view the data it all seems ok until it runs. Very Frustrating. Guess I will just have to trap each step of the process and see if I can isolate a specific function that Access 2k doesn't like.

bkdobs said:
[blue]Taking two mdb files created in Access 2K and merging them into a 3rd mdb file caused the modules to become corrupted ...[/blue]
. . . and [blue]just how are you combining the DB's?[/blue] . . . Be specific & through!

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

One of the bugs in A2k was extremely serious, and as I recall it had to do with pointers to a form's module.

I vaguely recall it was something like if a form was renamed, it's module kept the same root name of the form, so then if a new form was created or imported (merged) with the same original name, then this form's module also had the same root name and there was some sort of pointer contention and this caused serious and often irrepairable damage to the .mdb, and could also take down the system.

This was the first time Access had used the 'seperate module' concept, and they clearly messed it up badly.

It bit me so bad a few times where I lost an entire days work--and even though I believe it was fixed, I never, ever have used a2k since, I just stuck with 97 and waited till a2k2.
--JIm

The issue with the alleged bug is not what this thread is about ... this is old news ... was something that was an issue several months ago and am not going to rehash further ... I need a solution for the OS crash issue please.

bkdobs . . .

I understand your delima, although I don't recall this bug . . . have nothing on it in my library.

Using import, I have combined dbs in the past, or that is, used components/objects from several db's to make one. However, one has to be careful of importing objects, routines and functions with the same names! i an easily see a crash occuring here.

I'd always import in sections . . . tables, modules and so on. perhaps this is the best way for you to go until you find the section causing the crash, and dig deeper from there . . .

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

There was a bug similar to what you say - see for instance You receive an error message when you try to view the code in a module, compile a database, create an MDE file or execute code in Access 2000, but as stated there, should be fixed with service packs.

When developing in 2002, then opening in 2000, often the library reference will not change til correct version (9.0) until you've either set it manually (in VBE - Tools | References), or you just close and reopen the db. But the other way around, developing in 2000 then opening in 2002/2003 seems always to work ...

You seem to suffer from some code corruption - here's a discussion on that thread705-840870, with some options to resolve - do remember doing backup first ...

Roy-Vidar

Thanx Roy ... it appears that the decompile feature did the trick ... I suspect moving the mdb file compiled with the 10.0 object file into a2k then recompiling with the 9.0 object file may have caused the problem as decribed in the decompile thread ... this will be a standard operation from here on out.

Thanx to all who responded.

I'm in the same boat. If you go to the Microsoft site, it's a problem with VB6E.DLL ... essentially, you CANNOT import a form or module with code associated with it. There is no successful workaround. Microsoft claims that SP3 should fix it, but it doesn't. Their suggestion ? "Revert to a saved copy of your database." Aurggg ....

Alan J. Volkert
Fleet Services
GE Commercial Finance Capital Solutions
(World's longest company title)
Eden Prairie, MN

I have been programming for over 30 years on everything from micro code on Nova Data-Gen machines, Micro-controllers/Micros like Z80, Z8, Pics, 8080, 6502, to higer level languages like Fortran, Forth, Q|V|Basic, C++, ... Dbase, Foxpro, and now 4GL. I have never had to spend so much time working with "compiler related" issues as I have had to do with Access "well maybe Borland's C++ compiler was cranky at times too" ... just very Frustrating. There is something to be said about keep it simple (and well defined).

NUFF SAID THANX AGAIN TO ROY!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back