Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access utilization of 1-4 Processors 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LearningSql

Programmer
Apr 16, 2002
US
Hi All --

I searched through many of the Access postings for any information on this one. I could not find anything that related directly to my question.

Does anybody know of any "documentation" on Processor Utilization by MSAccess2K (A2K)?

I am trying to document (by anybody outside of my group -- there seems to be a trust issue somewhere) for my boss whether or not A2K can utilize 4 processors on a server or not. A2K is loaded on a server with 4 Processors and there is an argument (we're upgrading servers) about whether or not Access is a Processor Hog or not. I'm sure A2K runs faster on the server but my boss also wants to know whether or not it is process or memory that is doing the job.

I am leaning towards having SQL Server loaded (the right way in my opinion) to store / process / retrieve the data correctly but some users within my group are stuck on the idea that using A2K on a Server with 4 Processors and 4 Gig of memory is the best way to utilize a server (I am of a differing opinion and need to substantiate why it should NOT be this way).

Can anybody post info or point me in the right direction on:
-- Processor utilization by A2K - documentation or your opinions will be helpful.

Thanks for any and all assistance.

Hi

Access is a single threaded application, so will not use more than 1 processor simultaneously. If it is run on a multiprocessor server or workstation, any apparent speed increase is due only to spreading the operating system and application over all processors.

If Access is being run on a workstation from a multi processor server, it makes no difference whatsoever. Access is a file based database, and all processing takes place on the workstation. None of the database access will be executed on the server unless you implement pass through queries or Access data projects talking to MSDE or SQL Server. In this case, any performance difference would be due to increased file share performance across the network.

A 4 CPU / 4Gb RAM server would run SQL Server and a lot more, I have seen it run on a dual P2 350, along with file & print services for 10 people at a very acceptable pace.

John

What he said, emphasis on the fact that Access doesn't run on the server itself anyway--it just sends network filesystem requests to the server. I only want to add that if Access is running, your CPU can show 100% usage even though in reality, it is not. There's a MSKB article about it:

Thanks to both JRBarnett and foolio12 for the information! I appreciate the feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back