Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access user needs help getting started with SQL Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

huggybear

Technical User
Feb 15, 2001
US
I have been developing with Access 2000 for several years now and have an opportunity to do some SQL Server work coming up.

I loaded the SQL 7 cd that came with my Office 2000 Developer's Tools to see what I'd be dealing with and found that I couldn't make the standard installation, only the desktop version.

I suspect that it's because I'm running Windows 2000 Professional and not the Server build. Is that right or is something else going on that I don't know about?

If I need a server OS, what can I use, or what are my other options for getting some practice with SQL Server?

Bear

Do you get to decide which version of SQL Server to use. If you're starting a new project, I recommend you download a copy of SQL Server 2005 Express edition.

You can get it here...

-George

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause. - Fortune cookie wisdom

Thanks to you both for replying.

Well, no I don't get to decide the version and I haven't seen it yet. I was just hoping to get some practice creating views and stuff with the sample database that comes with it. SQLDenis, what is the $50 dollar developer version that you mention? Will it run on W2K Pro?

Bear

I'm pretty sure that's what came with my Developer's Tools. What I don't know is how to install the server part of it. The client part installs but there are no servers for it to connect to.

Bear

I think I see what the problem is. I am unable to register a server to connect to. I'm trying to figure that out now. If you can help me there I'd be grateful, but I am thankful for the help you have given so far.

Bear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back