Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access to VFP tables from FLEX

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmjmjm

Programmer
Jul 19, 2004
ES
Has anyone tried to access VFP tables from FLEX?

jmjmjm,

Flex is a client-side platform. It runs in a web browser, and therefore cannot access local data -- VFP or otherwise. The only solution I can think of is to deploy your Flex app under Adobe AIR, but that raises various security issues.

Or, do you want to access VFP data on the server? You can't do that directly from Flex. The Flex app has to invoke code on the server. That code might itself be able access VFP data, but how it does that depends on the language and platform.

If I have misunderstood what you are doing, perhaps you could clarify.

Mike

Visual FoxPro tips, advice, training, consultancy
Custom software for your business

I was thinking of using FLEX with AIR. I think it would be a good idea to use FLEX as a front end to VFP applications. It would open many new possibilities to VFP. I am beginning to work with FLEX and it is a very good system, but I haven´t started yet accessing external data bases.

Jose M. Guerrero

Jose,

I've not used AIR yet, although I am hoping to try it soon. I've not thought of using it as a front end for VFP. I'd be interested in hearing how you get along with it.

I would think the best way to access VFP data would be to use the VFP OLE DB provider.That would let you build recordsets in Flex.

One thing that has put me off AIR is the need to sign the app with a digital certificate. Presumably you don't feel that's a problem?

Mike

Mike,

Well, I haven´t started with AIR yet so I have to confess that I didn´t know about the digital certificate. We´ll see.

But the important point is that, if it is not too difficult or too slow to access DBFs from FLEX, then applications could be developed in VFP for processing and have a very interesting FLEX front end. We could have the best of both worlds. It could be something very important for VFP's future. I don´t want to abandon VFP because of its obvious advantages. FLEX offers almost everything VFP needs to have a future.

Wouldn´t it be interesting to create a group of developers interested in exploring this idea?

Jose
jm@infoseg.com

Jose,

I'd be interested in hearing how you progress with this idea, but I'm not ready to start exploring it myself yet. My original interest was in creating a browser-based front-end to a PHP app running on a web server. I'm considering using Flex for that (but not AIR). But that's got nothing to do with VFP.

By the way, I would suggest that you don't include your email address in your forum posts. It's very easy for the wrong kind of person to get old of them and use them for unsolicited emailing.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back