Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

access to sql date/time dts error

Status
Not open for further replies.

ski2sun

Technical User
Sep 12, 2001
US
I have a SQL datetime format(8) column that I am trying to import data to, from access, with date/time property, medium time. Why wont it go into the new Sql table. i tried text also....msg given was...
error at destination for row number 1. Errors encountered so far in this task: 1. Insert error, column 4 ‘calltime, dbtype-dbtimestamp), status 6. Data overflow, Invalid character for cast specification.

Is there any historical datetime data in Access, i.e. dates before the year 1753 ?

SQL books online states that "Date and time data is stored using the datetime and smalldatetime data types in Microsoft® SQL Server™ 2000. Use datetime to store dates in the range from January 1, 1753 through December 31, 9999 (requires 8 bytes of storage per value). Use smalldatetime to store dates in the range from January 1, 1900 through June 6, 2079 (requires 4 bytes of storage per value)."

they are all date/time, year 2000 forward...can you make a suggestion...thank you

Are you positive you are trying to convert to a datetime field and not a timestamp field? Also is there any non date data in the Access table? These are the two most common errors when converting that I can think of.

The only other thing I can think of would be to take the formatting off the Access table and then try to convert it.

ski2sun,

You say you have a "...SQL datetime format(8) column...". MS SQL Server does not have a syntax (that I'm aware of) that allows you to set the length of the datetime value.

IE:
CREATE TABLE mytable AS
MyDate DATETIME
, MyData VARCHAR(80)
<etc.>

Is your database really a Microsoft SQL Server database?

-SQLBill

I suggest using a &quot;VBScript transform&quot; (instead of a Source->Dest &quot;Copy Column&quot;); try reformatting the source as a character string of the form: &quot;yyyy-mm-dd&quot; or &quot;yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss&quot; and assign this to the Dest column.

thanks so much all for your notes..will check all your suggestions....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back