Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

access to new user profiles on WIN2000 server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

griff79

IS-IT--Management
May 30, 2003
GB
I've got a test environmnet setup whereby Users (WINXP) log onto a WIN2000 server with active directory. Their profiles are writen to the server in a share. The problem is when this process happens no admin access is given to the profile folders so admins cannot open them on the server.

I've checked by logging into the server as the user and the folders only have access rights for system and the user.

My question is, How do i configure Active directory to add Admin access rights to the user profile folder as it's created for the first time.

if you use the XP .adm files in your group policy rather than the Win2K ones you will find a new option to grant admins rights on profile folders

Jamie Gillespie
j-gillespie@s-cheshire.ac.uk

I do not have any group policies setup. I will go on to work with the policies but i want to understand why this is happening. I would be supprised if there is no way to set admin on these created profiles as having them appear with no access except for the users makes no sense.

Can this only be done through group policies ? or is there a way to specify the defualt rights to a new user profile without having a policy in place.

This is Win2000 server, not 2003 server.

group policy is the only way i know - unles YOU create the folders yourself rather than letting Win2K do it for you - that leads to other issues though as you MUST make sure that the user has FULL control over the folder AND that the ADMINISTRATORS group is the OWNER.

Jamie Gillespie
j-gillespie@s-cheshire.ac.uk

That makes sense. I think i've been looking at this the wrong way.
I assume that in order for the system to create profiles with preset rights you must use group policies (thats what they are there for)
If you dont want to bother with the policies, but still wish to have preset rights on the profiles folders, then you need to create the folders yourself.

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back