Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access to files in protected intranet folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

kophjager

Technical User
Oct 24, 2002
US
Hello All,

I've been searching the internet and example code on MSDN for what I want to do and have not been able to find anything. I do not know if it is because I am not looking for the right keywords or if what I am trying to do is do-able. So I'm hoping I can get some insight and help.

What I am doing is developing my first VB.Net program. My program will be run by many users distributed in different locations. They all have access to our intranet networked folders in the domain they log in. What I would like to do from the program they run off of their desktop is to be able to write files to a protected folder on the intranet server into a certain protected folder. I would like to access the folder through a paticular user account for the Program. Sort of an NT ID for the application to access network shares, that would not impact the users ability to access other network shares they have access to. That may be a bit complicated, so if I could instead place a password on the folder and supply the password through my program, that would also work. But I have not found any access methods for copying and writing files that will allow password access to the folder.

I would appreciate any help you can provide me. Please respond if you need any additional information.

thanks,

Kyle

After the user provides their ID and Password, use a connection string to access the file they need. Like this:
Code:
oConn.Open "DSN=mySystemDSN;" & _ 
           "Uid=myUsername;" & _ 
           "Pwd=myPassword"

Dimandja,

Thank you for the post, but I am a little lost in exactly how to access a password protected network folder using that convention. To me it looks sort of like a database connection. I've never done anything like this before so are you saying I can access a password protected or secure folder by making a DSN entry pointing to that folder? Sorry for my inability to comprehend how, but if you could be more specific like what driver do I need when setting up the DSN entry etc. it would really help me. Thanks a lot.

Kyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back