Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access to file denied to administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRMcM

Technical User
Dec 7, 2002
US
File that was placed on server by hacker will not allow administrator to view, change, or delete permissions. Is there a method to change permissions and delete this file?

you could try taking owner ship of it but I suspect this will not work

have you tried deleting it in dos

the only other option is to consult the antivirus sites as a file deposited by a hacker will be seen as a type of virus

"Work to live, don't live to work"

"The problem with troubleshooting is that sometimes it shoots back"

I have had this happen before. As an administrator you should be able to take ownership of the file, and then change permissions as needed.

I,ve tried to take ownership, received access denied. Tried Cacls.exe same result. Have found ntfs bootdisk but only allows read or copy, not delete

Have you used the attrib.exe file to check/change the attributes of the file after booting with the ntfs boot disk?

If not the attrib.exe file is abailable in \WINNT\system32 of any Win2k Pro machine. Copy to the boot disk. attrib /? for usage.

file attributes are hidden and archive, can display attributes but not change them. It also gets access denied.

Find the account the hacker used and use it to reset the ownership.

The hacker may have set the file up so it is considered part of the operating system. Even Administrators are not allowed to delete files that are in use by the system (which I suspect may be the problem). Try booting to safe mode (to stop loading of alot of system files) and attempt to take ownership of the file and delete it. If you can't take ownership of the file, you may need to take ownership higher up in the path (folder itself) and have that percolate down to the folders and sub folders). If you are still denied deleting for system reasons in safe mode, you may have to boot to the recovery console from the CD to stop loading of all system files on the hard drive.

To find out which account owns it....

Right-click on file or folder
Click Properties
Select Security tab
Click Advanced
Click Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back