Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access To C Drive On Specific Computer Denied

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCanuck1

Technical User
Apr 28, 2011
CA
I am the administrator for the whole system (network) and I have done something by accident (in active directory) which is preventing one of my computers on the network (webdev computer) from accessing it's own C drive (access denied). Furthermore, when I am logged into the Windows server 2008 as "Administrator", I look under "Computer" and I see the "C on WEBDEV" drive, but even when I click on it in there, it denies me access.
I have access to everything else except for that drive.
P.S. When I am logged in as a "user" or as "administrator" on the WebDev computer and look at the C drive, there is an icon with 2 people in it (I am assuming this is an icon for permissions), and I am denied access.

What I think happened is that the "owner" of the "win7" folder within the WebDev C drive was changed by accident (therefore affecting access to the whole C drive for any user on the WebDev computer). However, when I try and change the "owner", it will not allow me to (it says, "you do not have permission to view or edit this objects permission settings")

Is this affecting every user of this system? I think the best way would be to try to find the person the ownership was changed to and use their session or credentials to remedy the issue.

It sounds like the system still have permissions for its-self, because it sounds like windows is still up and running.... Knowing this, I guess there is a possibility of another option you may be able to try, which would be a group policy...I don't have all the bazillions of settings memorized, but it may be possible to modify the permissions through GP... or by using GP to run a script.

Thanks for the reply :)
It is affecting EVERY user only on the WebDev computer.

For instance, if I log into the WebDev computer with my credentials (DOMAINNAME\kris), I cannot access the C drive (permission denied).

But, if I log into the Workstation1 computer with my same credentials, I am able to access the C drive.

Does the machine have system restore enabled?

Wondering if this would work, this is pretty drastic, as it resets the local sercurity to the defaults.

secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Thanks for the reply. Not sure I want to try that though (seems a bit TOO drastic). LOL

as the admin Alt click on the drive select properties and take ownership click ok to save and reload the properties and check the to make sure they are set properly compare the settings with workstation1 if you have to.

If that doesn't work try logging in as the local admin on the webdev box and check the same things. the local admin always has the ability to take ownership in win2K8 and as a note he can now assign ownership to other people as well.

From the sounds of things you the everyone user group was removed from the access list.

Hey Bahamut666. Thanks for the response! :)

I think you may be correct regarding the "everyone user group". I may have deleted it by mistake (as I no longer see it in Active Directory). Is there a way to get this back?

I can log into the local machine (WEBDEV) using ABCSOLUTIONS\administrator, but when I try to change permissions or owner on the Win7 folder, it says I do not have permission to do so. It also will not allow me to view who the current "owner" is.

Also, when logging into the Windows 2008 Server as Administrator, I also do not have permissions to change or view who the owner of the Win7 folder is.

I am really stuck with this one :(

Hi Mr Canuck, easy mistake to make (I've been there!)

Sounds like you've tried logging into the local machine (abcsolutions) as admin and it still won't let you do anything. Makes me wonder if you're "really" logged in as admin?

Possibly: reset the admin PW on the local machine (abcsolutions) using a linux-based PW-reset tool - then retry? good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back