Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access to all software under Win/XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeDC

IS-IT--Management
Feb 21, 2002
US
I added some software, namely virus checker and popup ad filter, on a Win/XP machine. I had to input a "license code" in order to use the software (after demo period ran out). However, the software is only available under my login and I need it to be available to everyone who uses this machine. I trust this has something to do with those incredibly annoying User Profiles, but am lost.

Question 2. In old versions of Windows, you could simply click an option that "all users use same settings" and you didn't have to deal with a million profiles on your PC. Isn't there a way under XP to have this functionality back? We want everyone to see the same desktop AND have access to all the same software.

Thank you!

Is there a component that runs on Startup? That is, a shortcut in the Start/Programs/Startup directory?

If so, you could simply move that to same directory in the All Users profile.

d- Dean
---

Dean,

Thanks for your response. I wasn't clear in what was going wrong. The next user can start the program if I put it in the startup folder, that's true. However, it isn't "registered." Somehow the "license code" is tied in to my login. It needs to be tied in to the PC.

Sorry, didn't mean to be insulting with the obvious! :)

Any help from the product documentation or their support? It seems unusual that their license is by user rather than by machine (Unless that actually is their licensing policy). Have you read the license agreement?

If it is licensed by machine, then there is a problem with the install and you'll need to check with them.

d - Dean
---

Did you install that software with administrator permissions? It works fine this way under Norton AV for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back