Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access table

Status
Not open for further replies.

vestax22

Programmer
Jun 18, 2003
CA
Hi, I'm about to start a project and I'm wondering if Access is the right software to use. I would like to create a table containing information on clients. This table must be consultable and appendable. Clients can be deleted added and modified by the use of forms. I want to be able to install this program on the clients computer. Only one client will acces this table. I want to know if I have to install access on the clients computer or if I can create an exe that will let me modify the tables.

If anybody could give me any insights on how to program this I would be very happy. Ask questions if this seems vague

Thx in advance

Hi

From your description Access is more than adequate for the job

Client PC must have Access on it, unless you have the developers edition in which case you can insatll the runtime version of access and your application will run with that. You cannot create exe's from mdb's.

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

Hi,

An Access database cannot be converted into an executable file directly, there are four ways of doing it:

1. Install a full copy of access on the pc of anybody using it. This of course means they need Office Pro or Premium licenses, or you need to buy Access for anybody else.

2. Install the Runtime copy of Access on the pc of anybody using it. The runtime is obtained by purchasing the Developer version of MS Office and its purchase includes an unlimited distribution license for the runtime.

3. Visual Basic has controls that can be used to access Access databases (sorry for the unintentional pun), so you could write a front end program in this.

4. If the company has a Microsoft web server hosting an intranet (ie IIS or PWS), you could write a front end using ASP code and everyone can access it through their web browser.

John

thx for the reply's guys.

jrbarnett your saying that I should create the database and table in access and access it with a visual basic program?

Yes - using VB is one way, which will get you an executable application. (or use an ASP web application which connects to the database).

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back