Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access speed crawls (snails) on multi-user instalation

Status
Not open for further replies.

superspeed

Programmer
May 2, 2001
US
I have an Access 2000 program installed at a client on a Novell network. When the program is loaded on one computer and a form is open, it takes forever to load the next works station and longer for a third.

I tried it on my own system: Win 98 laptop, Win 2K workstation and a Win NT file server.

I brought up the performance monitor on the server (where the data is). The disk data is processed at 10% the rate with two work stations open as with one.

A friend has the same problem on another application and another network. Does anyone have any similar experiences or am I just a klutz with 20++ years of programming background?

TIA,

Super Speed

have a look at the network traffic. Access will typically read the entire table across the network. Search this site for that sort of info, there is loads of it!! Peter Meachem
peter@accuflight.com

I am NOT a Novell expert, but I know its worth setting the network locks to the maximum allowed number. The default is much too small.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back