Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Apr 2, 2003
US
I created a user group security for a database. Now whenever I access a different database, I get prompted for username and password. Usually, I don't enter a password and it will let me access the database.

However, when I tried to access an old Access 97 database for modification, it gave me an error message:

"The current user account doesn't have permission to convert or enable this database". I created the database myself. How do I convert it to Access 2003 and access it for revisions?

Thanks, Jim

Noticed no one answered you. I don't know much about Access securty except I think it applies to all DBs on the network usually. I try to avoid it. Not sure if they have made any improvments on in in 2003. Try MSDN... sorry I cannot be of more help.

Im assuming that you have created a new workgroup file. It sounds like you have set access to always use this workgroup file which will cause any instance of access being opened to request a username and password from the workgroup file.

Go to tools -> database security -> workgroup administrator

If you are not using system.mdw then locate it and change to it. It is generally in

C:\Documents and Settings\You\Application Data\Microsoft\Access\System.mdw

Clicking join will generally open the mdw browse box with the path of System.mdw

Once you have changed back to System.mdw you need to create a shortcut to open your secured database with your workgroup.

Set the target of the shortcut to

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\MSACCESS.EXE" "PathOfYourSecuredDatabase" /WRKGRP "PathOfYourWorkgroupfile"

Hope this helps

Mordja

mordja, Thank you! I was able to create a new Workgroup File. This has no security functions turned on. I am now able to open my database! I just have to worry about converting it to Access 2003 from Access 97!

Jim.

Jim,

Just a note. If that's all you had to do to turn off security on a database you had already secured, it means you missed at least one step in the process of securing the database, and it was not, in fact, secured.

If you're going to use this security system (much better than trying to create one of your own), take a look at the MS security white paper. You can get it from their site (somewhere), but I've got a copy of it on my site, in the Developers' section of along with some notes of my own about security.

Jeremy

---
Jeremy Wallace
METRIX Project Coordinator
Fund for the City of New York

Jeremy, thanks for the information! Just a note - I originally set up the workgroup file for a database on my PC. I then moved it to a Citrix Server for multiuser access. It resides there. For now, none of the databases on which I'm working require security. I'll plan to visit your site or obtain the MS Whitepaper! Thanks again!

Jim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back