Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

access second partiton on array

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomwe

Programmer
Oct 27, 2003
US
I am having trouble accessing the 2nd partition on a drive array and was wondering if anyone knew what I missed.

what I have - HP ML570 g2 running SCO 5.0.7 system is configured with a 4200 SCSI controler with 12 disks attached setup as RAID 1+0

what I did - the system was running short on disk space so what I did was to swap out the old 18gig drives with 300gig drives one at a time to allow the array to be rebuilt. after all of the drives were swaped I went into the HP array configuration utility and configured the new remaining array space to a second partition. now the array has 2 partitons, the first (original) of 108gig and the new second with 1.6tb. when I rebooted the system during bootup I went into the controller utility and confirmed both partitions were there and were reporting the sizes I was expecting. booted the system up and used mkdev hd to creare a new file system on the new partition. I entered the SCSI drive parameters as ID 1 on the same controller (ciss) as the first partition which was setup as ID 0. seemed logical to me. went through the configuration trying to setup the new partiton as a single file system. when all said and done I only ended up with a file system of about 20gig instead of the expected 1.8 terra.

anyone know where I went wrong?

Thanks
Tom

what filesystem "type" did you try to create. some of them have size limitations.

I left it at the default which was HTFS

Tom

I'm not 100% on this, but I thought it was pretty typical that a secondary partition on a RAID drive would be accessed as the same SCSI ID, but with a LUN of 1.
However, it appears that you must have the correct settings if it was able to locate a filesystem.

"Proof that there is intelligent life in Oregon. Well, Life anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back