Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access same POP3 account from LAN or Dialup connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcrecelius

Technical User
Mar 13, 2003
US
My boss would like to be able to use a dial up connection when he is away from the office and send/receive emails. I know I can set it up to do both but when he is at the office, the dial up connection will fail...when he is home the LAN connection will fail. It will always be a nuisance no matter where he is.
Without using a seperate profile, is there a way to make Outlook use the existing connection...be it dialup or LAN?

Laptop running Win XP Pro and Office XP

I've seen suggestions to have two different log-ins.

You also could try to have two different desktop icons and specify the profile in each (I think that different profiles can have different connection configurations).

Cheers

Try this.

Go tot he email account and click "change". Then "more settings" then the "Connections" tab.

Click the button: connect using my LAN and also the box below it: connect via my modem when Outlook is offline.

Setup the modem at the bottom.

This should use the LAN when available and dial the modem when not.

richardchaven,
Can the different profiles share the same pst file?

herrslime,
You idea sounds good but if I remember correctly, to access our mail server via a dialup connection, the incoming (or outgoing) mail server has to be set to the dialup ISP domain whereas now they are set to the IP of the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back