Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access RT Program and MS Office Reference

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMeek

Programmer
Sep 18, 2000
US
I have a Microsoft Access 2000 Program that is deployed to clients. Some clients have MS Office and some may not. Will there be a problem with the code if I include a reference to the MS Office Library (MSO9.DLL) and it is included in the deployment CD installation program along with Access Runtime?

We have deployed this program for about 4 years and I am making some upgrades to the import and export processes that use the FileOpen and FileSave dialog boxes. The code and modules require a reference to the Office Library and I don't want problems when we start shipping the revision at the end of the month.

Can someone verify if I have everything covered by including the reference library and RT in the deployment installation routine?

Bryan Meek

From what i have done in the past i don't think there will be a problem. What i did - if this helps is create an MDE file which will then hold all the relevant code, modules etc.
This was then rolled out to users (using access 2002 RT) and it worked fine - I have had problems with developing 2000 apps using access 2003 - RT didn't like this at all so in this case i had to convert the MDE using access 2002.
Not had much experience deploying developed apps from CD's but i hope this helps a bit.

trium123,
Thanks for the information and the suggestion. We use Access 2000 as our development platform because many of our customers have not upgraded yet.

We have the developers versions of all the newer MS Office applications but we have not migrated from Access 2000 for our client databases. I have tested some of the code and forms from our point and click program in Access 2003 although I kept them in an Access 2000 format and have not experienced any code malfunctions.

As part of our program security we only deploy MDE files with the by-pass key disabled to hold everything together and prevent users from changing the base data. (We do have certain places inside where the clients can add data) I'm just preparing for a revised version release and wanted to make sure the referenced DLL doesn't cause a hiccup! (It is included when we build the MDE)

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back