Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Rights Problems??!??!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jguy

IS-IT--Management
Nov 17, 2000
US
Greetings! I have run in to this problem before, but never managed to get it resolved. Today, I ran in to it again, and it must be resolved. O.k., we are using windows 2000 in a WinNT4.0 Domain (...hmmm....), anyways, there is an application that we are trying to run. If I log in as administrator, or use the <SHIFT>Run As... option, the app will work for the admin or anyone with admin rights. However, when a normal user trys to run the app, they get a REGISTRY ERROR message. If the normal user clicks o.k. at the registry error, the box disappears and the application continues to run. I had this problem with AutoCad before at an Engineering firm. The reccommended fix was to add the domain &quot;normal&quot; user into the Power Users Local Group. This worked for AutoCad, but will not for the current application. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

PS: I suppose that the program is trying to do something with the registry as it runs, but not sure what....

J. Joe W. Guy
Network Admin
MIS Director

Typically this can be resolved by granting the user write access to the individual programs key in the registry which is what adding the user to power users effectively does, also. However, if this doesn't work you will need to figure out what additional keys the program is trying to write to in order to run. What is the program? Does it use ODBC or other elements of the OS. Does it give you any description in the error or in the event viewer.

I'm having the same problem. I'm running a W2K server with Active Directory setup and a W2K Pro client machine. The Client machine has 3 programs that will only run under the local Admin profile and I need them to run under the User domain profile.

When you talk about giving the user PowerUser rights, where do you do that? Client machine or on the server (hopefully the first one).

Thanks in advance,

Marc

you may try to add the users to the administrator , and then install the software ,, and then remove the users from the administrator again ,, I didn't try it , but I think it will work ..
give it a try ... Mohamed Farid
Know Me No Pain , No Me Know Pain !!!

This might help finding what other registry keys it touches

the following thread 616-115669 talks about that
===============================================

twopoint (MIS) Aug 3, 2001

btw there is a Sysinternals Process Explorer that tells you exactly what you application is accessing, makes it easier to troubleshoot

Good luck

my2Cents

see Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 269259

The solution is to type the command line and let it recreate the security settings on the workstattion as per NT4

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back