Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Reports 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

missyu

Programmer
Jan 29, 2001
CA
Hi,

I am trying to show a list such as:

Groceries:
Apples
Oranges
Bananas

Where all the listed fruit is actually different variables (ex. Fruit1=true, Fruit2=true, Fruit3=true). I know this is not the best way to do this however, this is the way it is set up and I must find a way to report on it.

I've got it working however, is there anyway to eliminate the space if a variable is null? For example if Fruit1=true, Fruit2=false, and Fruit3=True - it is currently displaying:

Groceries
Apples

Bananas

I'm sure there's a way to do this but I can't seem to figure it out. Please help. Thanks!

Are these fields in a table or are they checkboxes on a form, and can we see the code you are currently using? It would make it easier for us to help if we now a bit more info... Terry M. Hoey
th3856@txmail.sbc.com
While I don't mind e-mail messages, please post all questions in these forums for the benefit of all members.

These are Fields in a table. There isn't any code to show you unfortunately. Basically, I inherited this database and they want a custom report.

So I just went in and used the report wizard and generated this report. There are 10 table fields where I want to display the field name if that field is set to True. I generated a query using IIF statements so that it would do this.

The report layout is as follows:

Groceries (HEADER)
(DETAIL)
-TableField1
-TableField2
-TableField3

If the TableField is = "True" (String), then the report will show the TableFieldName otherwise it will display null.

My problem is that it will not group the fields (that are NOT NULL) together...:
-TableField1 (="true")
-BlankSpace (because TableField2 was blank)
-TableField3 (="true")

When you have a series of TableFields in this list format, with uneven spacing, it is quite ugly. Therefore, I need the report to not show the ones that are null (even if they are just blank).

Hope that clarifies my problem. (Thanks in advance)

set the "Can Shrink" property for the fields to "Yes"

Yes this has been done and it doesn't fix my problem. Thanks anyways:)

hmmm...
works fine for me - no gaps.
What version of Access are you using?

I'm using Access 97. Isn't the "Can Grow" property only so that a field can expand if the contents are bigger than the set size? Then, the "Can Shrink" will shrink if the field is smaller, but it stays a BASE size doesn't it?

No - Can Shrink will shrink it to nothing... Try it!

You are showing the fruit vertically yes?

Could you put a text box in and make the control source

= iif( ISNULL(Fruit1) , '' , [Fruit1] & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) )

& iif( ISNULL(Fruit2) , '' , [Fruit2] & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) )

Peter Meachem
peter@accuflight.com

petermeachem;

Thank you that worked great. Using the IIF as the control source did the trick!!

Thanks to everyone but a big kiss to you!
missyu

You are so kind. Anything else, just ask. Peter Meachem
peter@accuflight.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back