Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Report not seeing Table updated data 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmkolb

Technical User
Feb 17, 2003
US
This is probably easy, but I'm missing it! I have a database that lists a Job number and some data for that Job. I have a report that shows all the information from the table. OK The problem I have is if I preview the report, then go back and add or change any data in the table, with a form, etc. then attempt to preview the report again, it doesn't show the changes! If I open the table it shows the changes Ok, but the report doesn't! If I close the database and reopen it, then preview report it is updated! What am I missing here? Thanks

Not sure on all of your details, but this is normal. When the report opens it draws a recordset formats the report and basically prints it out. So you can add or change as much as you want to a table, but until you close the report and reopen it will not pull the updated information. A form is a window into the underlying recordset. It does not save the changes to the database until you move off of the current record (yes, there are other ways to commit the transaction).
So if your form is a single record view and you do not move to the next record, the data on the form is not saved to the database. Your form is "dirty". But I bet if you move to the next record, then reopen your report you will see the changes. To fix this you could use the "on dirty" event to ensure that the changes are committed. Your form is "dirty" when there are changes on it, but not saved to the database.
Give me some more specifics on how you want your form and report to work together.

MajP, First thanks for replying.
The underlying table is being updated, OK. I can open the table and I see the changes I make, but if I open the report, it isn't showing the changes? Do I use the "on dirty" when I open the report?

dmkolb@comcast.net

I see what's happening in report but don't know how to fix it. The table is in the correct order, sorted, but the report has the changes I made at the bottom of the report, not in the sorted order like the table! Any help?

Don't concern yourself with the sort order of the table. In design view of the report, find the Sorting and Grouping button and perform the sort there.

Good call there Lilliabeth! I even was able to do away with the query I was trying to use to sort before reporting, this way! I don't know why I didn't use this method before. Thanks alot.[medal]

dmkolb@comcast.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back