Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Report - Having trouble calculating a field

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 5, 2002
CA
Hello,

I have built a production database in Access 2000 and it runs a few reports. I have one report where most of the calculations were done in the report and run off of a query.

I need to add some fields to the report but I cannot get the fields to calculate properly.

I am trying to add the total numbers of hours an employee worked.For example John has worked 20 hours, in my query this "20 hours" shows up 25 times ( the number of items on John's page).When I try to sum it it gives me a total of 500 hours. How can I add this field to my report to give me the actual number of hours this employee worked ?

I could make a brand new query but then I would need to start my report from scratch and that is what I do not want to do, since many of the calculations are done directly in the report.

Thanks
Debbie

Debbie,

Have the report do the calculation for you. Hopefully you have a group header and footer by employee. Put an unbound text box in the group footer that will sum up the hours, of course changing to your field name:
Code:
=Sum([Hours_worked])

Thanks CosmoKramer,

That is exactly what I have tried. The form that the data is placed in has a sub form. So if I try to add an unbound field in the footer with this calculation, it calculates number of hours then multiplies by the number of items in the subform????

I don't get it ;)
Debbie

I don't get it either...Can you e-mail me a copy of the db so I can look at it?

sw3540@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back