Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Remote Computer... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zib

Technical User
Feb 15, 2001
IN
I have WIN XP- Home edition machine. I need to access my office PC which is also WIN XP-Home edition.

Is there any way to access these 2 machines either ways?

(I just read only WIN XP- Pro supports Remote Desktop... is there an alternate way?)

Thanks in advance for your comment/expertise help!!!

Zi

You can also use VNC, it is like remote desktop but you can install the server and client on any computer. Make sure the correct port is open (both on the pc's and router).

There are many solutions like the ones mentioned. Another good one that you have to pay for is PCAnywhere.

Keep in mind though that your Office PC is likely behind a firewall. You should talk to your network administrator (or helpdesk) to see if there are any restrictions against this in place. The default ports, for example, are probably blocked.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

cmeagan656- logmein seems to be good to me... I am first time user og remote PC software. Thanks for referring

jshurst- I'm yet to try VNC

digitalpencil- Laplink needs licence procurement.

Thanks all for valuable help!!!

zib,

You don't tell us how the two machines are connected but you could try NetMeeting

It is not the best remote desktop app but a free one which is installed with most versions of Windows.

To run it - select the Run option from the Start menu and enter Conf

HTH Hugh,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back