Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access "Programmer" seeking VB.NET book

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 14, 2002
US
I am seeking recommendations on a good book for someone coming into VB.NET from an MS Access background. In particular I need instruction on using classes and data controls - something that might also be useful is at least an introduction to design patterns.

Sounds like alot to ask of one book, so if anyone has suggestons please comment on suggestions for any of the above topics.

Teach Yourself VB.net in 21 days is a really good book for beginners. Everything you have asked for is explained in easy steps.

The best book that I've read thus far on VB.net, and I've read many, is Beginning vb.net 2003 from Wrox.

But I want to give you a better suggestion. MicroSoft has put out hundreds of Webcast (online video training kits done by the creators of vb.net, various certified consultants and developers). These webcasts are great and FREE. I'm currently going through one that is a 14 part series on VB.net window application building.

I bought a package similar to this 3 years ago and it cost me $2000.00. Thats just one series. There are at least 24 others that are on the same subject. They cover everything from Database design, Forms design, XML, Multithreding, ASP.Net, Smart Client Solutions, GUI Design, Deployment, Mobil Web Programming, the list goes on. Check them out at:
You can't beat it.

Bobby Strickland
Solutions Engineer
Strictly Consulting, Inc
http:'Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work' -- Aristotle

Programming Microsoft Visual Basic.Net - Francesco Balena

Programming Microsoft Windows with Microsoft Visual Basic.Net - Charles Petzold

Both from Microsoft Press - both excellent - If you are an experienced developer in VBA and are pretty technically proficient then try the first one, but it is much more advanced. The second one is more of an entry level introduction and goes into a great deal of detail.

Enjoy!

Have a great day!

j2consulting@yahoo.com

Francesco Balena is good. I still use his VB 6.0 book as reference material. If you follow my suggestion of using the webcast then this book would probably be all you would need additionally.

Bobby Strickland
Solutions Engineer
Strictly Consulting, Inc
http:'Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work' -- Aristotle

OOP!!!!!!!!!!

Christiaan Baes
Belgium

I just like this --> [Wiggle] [Wiggle]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor