Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access "Expression Builder" I am baffled! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbishopjr

Technical User
May 24, 2002
US
I'm new at this Access thing, I have built 2 databases before and I have been assigned to another one to track failure costs of our optical connectors. I thought it was "simple" in the beginnig.
I have tried various expressions in the builder, and they turn up many odd results...#Name?, 0, "blank",...Arrgggh!
I can't get it. I'll show a simplified example of my database below. The red part is what I can't figure out...

|Table1|
(Connector)(Price)

|Table2|
(Connector)(Failure Amount)(Total Cost of failures)

|Form|
(<Combo Box> - Choose Connector) Store it in |Table2| (Connector)
(<Text Box> - Failure Amount) Store it in |Table2| (Failure Amount)
(<?????> - <<expression>>=(Failure Amount) * |Table1|(Price) store it in |Table2|(Total cost of failures)

The reason for the external connector price table, is the prices change and Table2 would keep historical data on old prices.
I would LOVE any help ...
Thanks a million in advance,
W.Bishop

I don't really understand what you do. Some suggestions:
* Total cost of failures is an attribute which don't have to be stored in the database. It is the total of Failure Amount of a specific Connector. If you do this anyway you shoudl store this in the Connector table (table 1)
* Table 2 keeps a history. Maybe you already do but it is usefull to add a datetimestamp in this table.
* The form should contain a subform with the contents of table 2. The total cost of failures can then be a unbinded filed which expresse the total of failure amount of table 2. You can use a group by query
* Otherwise i need a saple of the db

If you're saying what I think you're saying, then this may be more simple than you thought. I believe what you are looking for is to keep an historical track of costs related to connector failures.

If this is so, then I believe you only need one table:

|Table1|
(Connector)(Price)(FailureAmt)

a query:

|Query1|
(Connector)(Price)(FailureAmt)(FailureCost: [Price]*[FailureAmt])

and a form which puts all this into a nice display format.

Now that I think of it, you may want the Connectors in their own table and simply use a lookup function in the table that lists the price and failure amount.

Hope this solves your problem,

Rafael

Sorry it took so long to reply to this post, both are great suggestions I finally worked out this problem with your help, THANKS!!

Waymond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back