Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Query with $ in field

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKer

Programmer
Apr 17, 2001
US
I am trying to create a query that will return all rows from a field that do not contain a word that starts with $. There is a field that contains words such as $System, etc. I can't figure out the proper syntax to get the query to work.

Thanks in advance
BK

try this...

in the query view within the criteria of the field your querying, enter something like this...

Not Like "$*"

or if you're using straight SQL it would look something like this...

SELECT YourTableName.YourFieldName
FROM YourTableName
WHERE (((YourTableName.YourFieldName) Not Like "$*"));

hope this helps you.

I tried to do that along with a lot of other things and it still returns all the rows containing "$System". I think it has ot do something with the $ and how to bracket it or something.

Thanks anyway,
BK

If you're field is of type 'string' I can't think why cgHoga's solution doesn't work??? Maybe you have leading spaces...which if this is true then alter your code using the Trim function:

SELECT Trim([YourTableName].[YourFieldName]) AS [YourFieldName]
FROM [YourTableName]
WHERE (((Trim([YourTableName].[YourTextName])) Not Like "$*"));

[yinyang]

I tried the trim function and still not luck. Here is my query if it helps.

SELECT dbo_v_AlarmEventHistory.Area, dbo_v_AlarmEventHistory.Description, Trim([dbo_v_AlarmEventHistory].[Area])
FROM dbo_v_AlarmEventHistory
WHERE (((dbo_v_AlarmEventHistory.Description) Like '*P202*') AND ((Trim([dbo_v_AlarmEventHistory].[Area])) Not Like "$*"));

Thanks,
BKer

Hrmmmm, add another column to your query with the following:

CheckFirstChar: Left(Trim([dbo_v_AlarmEventHistory].[Area]),1)

This will essentially only show the first character of 'Area'...where you can then put in criteria to exclude "$"...but first things first...just check that there are certainly text values that start with the dollar symbol ($).

Let me know how you get on...

[yinyang]

I tried what you suggested and it still did not work

SELECT dbo_v_AlarmEventHistory.Area, dbo_v_AlarmEventHistory.Description, Trim([dbo_v_AlarmEventHistory].[Area])
WHERE (((dbo_v_AlarmEventHistory.Description) Like '*P202*') AND ((left(Trim([dbo_v_AlarmEventHistory].[Area]),1)) Not Like "$*"));

I used this query in SQLServer and it works fine. I am using Access as the front end and linking tables to SQLServer. I tried to just use this query in Access to and the same results.

select area, tagname, description, eventstamp
from v_alarmeventhistory
where area <> '$System'

Thanks for the help,
BKer

Anybody have any insight on why this will work in SQLServer and no Access?

Thanks,
BKer

This might look complex but try the following:

where Mid([Naam],(InStr(1,[Naam],&quot;$&quot;)),1) <> &quot;$&quot;

replacing the field &quot;Naam&quot; with your fields

Good luck

Phlip

Driep,

I tried this and still no luck.

SELECT dbo_v_AlarmEventHistory.Area, dbo_v_AlarmEventHistory.Description
WHERE (Mid((dbo_v_AlarmEventHistory.area),(InStr(1,(dbo_v_AlarmEventHistory.area),&quot;$&quot;)),1) <> &quot;$&quot;
AND ((dbo_v_AlarmEventHistory.Description) Like '*P202*'));

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help. Starting to get frustrated with access.

BK

I feel like I have tried everything. '$*' does not work either. I'm sure that it is some sort of syntax mix up that I can't figure out. Thanks for the help and if anyone has any more tips to try let me know.

Thanks,
BKer

Try This....n it shud work defy.

SELECT Temp.*, Mid$([Test],1,1) AS Expr1
FROM Temp
WHERE (((Mid$([Test],1,1))<>&quot;$&quot;));

how about using escape code like this:

SELECT dbo_v_AlarmEventHistory.Area,
dbo_v_AlarmEventHistory.Description
WHERE dbo_v_AlarmEventHistory.Description Like '*P202*' AND dbo_v_AlarmEventHistory.Area Not Like '[$]*'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back