Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access query calculating on a formatted number help

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoldy

IS-IT--Management
Jul 5, 2003
CA
I am importing numbers that have up to ten decimal places and im formating them so that they have 2 decimal places...

Here is an example of what I am doing

actual numbers
Old Cost | New Cost | Calculated Difference
3.256 | 3.26 | .004

So I am detecting a price difference that I don't want. I formated the numbers in the field so that they read correct. However I need to make a change to the formula that is currently is looking at the unformatted number. Here are my result when I format the numbers.

Old Cost | New Cost | Calculated Difference
3.26 | 3.26 | .004

I posted that slightly wrong reverse the fields so that the new costs is the one I am rouding.... I also realized that the problem is bigger than displayed above ... even if I fix the calculation so that the cost difference is zero. If I do have a cost difference what happens is I export the new cost to a csv file which is used to update our system... When I do that the unformated number gets exported as 3.256 and our system cuts off the 6. Now the price is wrong again. Is there some way to permanantely round the figure in a query?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back