Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Problems on Linux Server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

achau

Technical User
Apr 16, 2001
GB
Has anyone encountered any problems in running Access databases stored on a Linux server?

A client of mine has an Access database (split into two files for frontend and backend) that is stored on a Linux server and has about 10-15 users accessing it via the LAN. The database seems to get corrupted or needs repairing very often (sometimes on a daily basis!). I have noticed that the size of the backend data file increases from 4MB to 6MB in a matter of 1-2 hours, even though only existing records are edited and no new records are added. When a compact and repair is carried out, the data file goes back down to 4MB.

Any help/advice appreciated. TIA.

Al

I don't have any solution to offer, but I'm interested in the platform issues involved. I didn't even know you could run an Access app w/Linux back-end platform housing the data MDB. Has there always been problems with this app or did it just start when they put it on the Linux server?

I haven't used Linux but most likely that's not the problem. Access starts to choke in the 15 to 20 user range... The solution would be to use some sort of database server or read up on improving multi-user environments. I like Sybex as a publisher and Litwin and Getz know their stuff. I'd look for one of their books.

I would have to say that I doubt it is Linux messing anything up. And a Access DB can be run on a Linux server. You just setup Samba as your file server and it just acts like a regular Windows shared drive. So you can just store your DB on the fileserver and all is well. I am setting this up right now and also have testing it at another location and it does work. I dont know about the user limitation. But I know that when I run into this problem I will probably go to something like Filemaker Pro or something. But in the meantime I will develop this current DB in Access.

HTH

natemclain

I'll go against the grain here and suggest that Linux could in fact be the problem. Although it's only one of several suspects, don't be too quick to rule it out.

While it's true that file sharing should work fine under any O/S that supports it (and I have run Access DBs on Linux with no problems), a shared Access database is a different scenario entirely than simple file sharing.

The biggest issue is the timing of disk updates. Little things like client-side output buffering, lazy or delayed writes, and dropped packets -- transparent under normal circumstances -- are potential data killers with a shared Access database.

Run down the usual list of Access corruption suspects (e.g. RealTek NICs under W98, out-of-date VREDIR.VXD under W95, client-size buffering with Novell clients, etc.) Make sure the overall health of the network is good. Do any workstations regularly hang and/or lose their network connections? Use LDBView to see which workstations were connected when the database became corrupt.

I would also take issue with the claim that "Access starts to choke with 15-20 users". How many users you can support depends entirely on what the load is, what kind of transactions are happening. If there are a great many constant, rapid inserts, you may hit a practical limit at only 1 or 2 users. But under the load you describe, 15-20 users is not a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back