Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access printers in different workgroup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjornis

Technical User
Feb 20, 2001
SE
Hi!
We have two Domains (A and B) and a workgroup(printers).
Domain A and B should not be able to access each other but they should be able to use the printers in the workgroup. The users should not have to give username/password to access the printers. Anyone that have an idea how to set this up?

A and B are windows 2000 networks with servers/klients.
Printers is an win 2000 klient.

/B

Are the printers connected to the network or hanging off individual servers/workstations? If on the network, just connect using the IP address...

The printers are connected to workstations.
I can connect to them but have to give username/password to the client (i dont want that).
The clients with printers are not members of the original domain.
/B

Then you'll need to add the user ID's locally to the workstations that the printers are attached to.

Thats what I was afraid of...
Thanks for the help brontosaurus!

Any idea of another way to set it up. Want it easy for the users,should just be able to connect to the printers and i cant set up trusts betwen domain A and B.
/B

I understand, but I think the only way would be to get them directly connected to your networks with their own IP....

Take a look at hpweb jetadmin on HP's website if there hp printers. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[yinyang]

"They believe that nothing will happen because they have closed their doors."
Maurice Maeterlinck (1862-1949); Belgian author

I am new to the win 2000 server. I am lookin for some type of software that can conect my pc's to a hp 8000 n. I've heard about jetadmin but i have no idea were to start.

I am new to the win 2000 server. I am lookin for some type of software that can conect my pc's to a hp 8000 n. I've heard about jetadmin but i have no idea were to start.

When you setup the sharing on the printers. Under the permissions tab setup each user that is going to be printing to that printer in the permissions. You should be able to select from the pulldown menu the proper domain then add the users from each domain. This way when they authenticate on the network and try to print. The network should pass authentication over to the printers share and not prompt for login. This will require a login to each domain when you setup the permissions but after that there should be no additional prompt.s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back