Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access permission

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamking01

Programmer
May 30, 2004
US
I've created ASP pages that connect to a Access database saved outside the root directory. I've been developing with rights and permissions for EVERYONE. I've just changed the permissions to IUSR_MachineName and give IUSR full rights to both the DB file and folder. But now an error comes up saying that I don't have the rights. I'm pretty sure it's an account issue cause once I give rights to EVERYONE, everthing works fine.

I've also gone into Anonymous User Accounts of Authentication Methods and it shows as IUSR_MachineName. Am I missing something here.

If your asp page calls some out of process application you might want to include account IWAM_MachineName.

The users that need permissions depend on the OS:

Win2k: machinename\ASPNET
Win2k3: machinename\NetworkService

Unless you've manually changed the account, these are the ones.

IUSR account is for other anonymous requests, including ASP Classic.

-p

penny.gif
penny.gif

The answer to getting answered -- faq855-2992

I'm pretty new at this so I'm not sure how these permission groups work. Site will be served on a Win2k server. I've tried the different accounts above and found that machinename\ASPNET by itself will work. IWAM_MachineName didn't work. Since I can manully change the account and the Anonymous User account under Anonymous Access is set to IUSR_machine name, why didn't it work with IUSR_machinename before.

Could someone please explain what anonymous requests means and what it is used for. I've been mainly developing the company intranet db and am now mititgating some basic functions over the net. The asp.net pages are already completed, so now I'm concerned about security when placed online. Reading other posts, I've read that for security purposes placing the db outside the root folder and using forms authentication should be sufficient. Is this true? Are there any other issues I should be concerned about?

Could someone provide some helpful links on the permission accounts and ASP.net security issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back