Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access over a network with a web app

Status
Not open for further replies.

markartist

IS-IT--Management
Nov 12, 2003
US
I have an application that writes orders to an Access database. This program is currently working fine and successfully writing data to the db (it is currently on the same server as the application).

I need to move this database to another server and access it over the network. When I do this I get the error message below. The machine has the system and IUSER permissions and I can access it direct from server to server just not through the web app.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

S1000: [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file '(unknown)'. It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data.

First check the permissions on the shared folder. Does anyone have access to the database? i.e. specific users, read only, full?

That might solve the problem. Also check your reference. It is no longer C:\somedirectory\yourdatabase.mdb

It should be \\someserver\somedirectory\yourdatabase.mdb

Another issue might be that you can't share the database you will need to setup some security within the database itself and create some web code that passes a username and password to the database when it tries to connect if the above does not fix the problem

I have set the share at //server//drive//db.mdb and all permissions are correct. What type of permissions should I be looking for?

Thanks for your quick reply!

You can set the permission to allow "Everyone" access to test to see if it is a permission issue.

You can set the permission to allow "Everyone" access to test to see if it is a permission issue. This is the shared folder where the database resides on the new server that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back