Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Outlook Web Access via webmail subdomain

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotobi

Technical User
Mar 9, 2004
HK
Hi there.

I've found that the thread (Outlook Web Access, subdomain?) deals with what I need to do, but I am having trouble understanding the part that needs to be done in IIS.

I've created a new website, and as a test I'm ignoring the redirection part and have just put a basic index.htm page in the site's directory.

Within Properties>Website_Identification>Advanced...>Multiple_Identities_for_this_website, I've added "webmail.<ourdomain>.com", "webmail" & "webmail.<ourdomain>.local".

Then from the server itsself, I'm attemping to browse to and getting the 'This Page Cannot be displayed' page.

I'm of course using our actual domain name where <ourdomain> is stated.

As far as I can tell, if I got this site working internally, with webmail.<ourdomain>.local, then I would need to modify the DNS of our .com domain to send all webmail subdomain traffic to our server's/router's external IP address.

People can currently connect using
Ports 80 & 443 are forwarded from router to server.

We're running Small Business Server 2003 Standard, SP1.

Can you help?

Thanks

If the name of your server is webmail, this will work. Otherwise you can connect using servername.yourdomain.local. If you want to use this address you will need to create a record on your internal DNS server to point webmail.sms.local to the internal IP address.

Externaly, you can connect using the routers external IP address. This will not work from the internal network. Is your smtp traffic forwarded from the router to this server? If so, you should be able to connect exteranly by using
For security it is also a good idea to force connections via https. To do this right click on the exchange vitual directory in IIS and click properties. Under Directory Security, click edit in the Secure Communications box. Check the box for "require secure channel(SSL)"

Hope this helps!
Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back