Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access on shared folder doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

alicey

MIS
Dec 3, 2002
US
I have created an Access db on shared folder that I created for others to access the db and it is working fine. But after I splitted the db into front end and back end, both sitting on the same shared folder, I cant open it from other computers except the one that I used to create the db. I received an error prompting message like ...... it is not a valid path ..... I am new to this, and have no idea on how to share my db with the others. Thanks.

Alice

Alice:

If you created the database on a Shared folder that you have mapped as G: for example, and other users do not have this Drive listed as a mapped network drive, or have called it by another Drive Name (F:) then they will not be able to connect to the database. Are your users trying to connect via a shortcut or through an Access Dialog box?

What I did was I created a new folder on my machine, right click and select properties and set to 'share folders', and I selected security and added the login ID of other users' machine from there. Then I click on My network place\Add network place and I selected a network which I am using from the list. Thats all I did. Before I splitted the db, it worked fine, but not after I split it. Thanks.

Alice

Alice:

How are the users trying to access the database, via a shortcut or through Access?

Hi jfgambit,

I tried to add a shared folder on a shared network. It worked well before I split the db. After I splitted the db, where frontend and backend are still on the same folder, I have this message: "C:\Documents&Settings\...\...\ is not a valid path. Make sure the path name is spelled correctly and that you are connected to the server on which the file resides."
Is there a better way to share my db? I tried to put it on a sharedrive, but it takes a long time to load.
Is there a way to have only 5 machines connecting to my machine and share the db sitting on my machine? Thanks.

Alicey

Alice:

It seems that the problem resides in the fact that when the user is opening the database the link for the backend DB is searching their C: (hard drive) for the backend DB. You can share the DB on your computer, but you need to change the link to the backend database so that when other users try to open it it does not look to their C: path for the database.

For example, you need to change C:\Documents&Settings\...\...\ to
\\TheNameofyourCompanynetwork\TheNameofYourComputer\YourFoldername\ThebackendDB.mdb name

Hi jfgambit,

I know what you mean, I will try it, will let you know tomorrow if it works, I learn a lot from this, thanks so much.

Cheers,
Alicey

Hi jfgambit,

How do you change C:\Documents&Settings\...\...\ to
\\TheNameofyourCompanynetwork\TheNameofYourComputer\YourFoldername\ThebackendDB.mdb name, I tried the Properties of the shared folder, it doesnt work, pls help, thanks.

Cheers,
Alicey

Alicey:

Relink your tables back into the front-end. When you do, don't use C:\My Documents\... drive use My Network instead and give the full path to your machine.

Additionally, is there a reason why you want to keep the back end DB on your machine instead of a network server? I'm not sure, but I could see this using resources on your machine that might slow down other processes on your computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back