Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access number format

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdmartin74

Programmer
Sep 13, 2002
US
I have a report displaying numbers for different countries. I can identify each country but wish to display the numbers differently for each. For example, 10,453.56 for a UK number and 10.453,56 for a French/German etc. number.

Access is always using my default locale but I need this to change on a per record basis. Using the field format with something like "##,##0.00" and "##.##0,00" is not handled correctly; it basically reads my locale.

Does anyone know of a solution to this short of simply mashing the strings and doing a search and replace?

You could wite a peice of code that resets the number format of the report - add it to the on-format ie

select case [Country]
case "UK"
field.format="#,##0.00"
case "GER"
field.format="#.##0,00"
end select

Never tried this, but ought to work.....

I have tried this. Access seems to overide based on regional settings still. The format applies but the comma is treated as a thousand seperator and the period as a decimal. Access is obviously reading the local regional settings to get this information.

Hi
Here is a small function that might give you some ideas:
Code:
Function ForCur(Cur)
Dim IntPart, DecPart
Cur = (Format(Cur, "#,###.00"))
If InStr(1, Cur, ".") > 0 Then
    DecPart = Mid(Cur, InStr(1, Cur, ".") + 1)
Else
    'some problem here
End If

IntPart = Mid(Cur, 1, InStr(1, Cur, ".") - 1)
Do While InStr(1, IntPart, ",") > 0
    Mid(IntPart, InStr(1, IntPart, ","), 1) = "."
Loop
ForCur = IntPart & "," & DecPart
End Function
If you put it in a module and put =ForCur([CurrFld]) in your report.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back