Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access not allowing user in when multiple users in same database.

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkeysee

Programmer
Sep 24, 2002
US
I have a database that has worked without flaw with multiple users accessing the database for years. Recently a new user was added; the user has been given all security levels with access but when she tries to access the database when others are in it, she is locked out. However if she accesses prior to anyone else, then she has no problem and others have no problem either.
It definitely has something to do with her user credentials with access. We have reloaded the program, but no change. The data is stored on a server; each user has access loaded on their PC. Any ideas will be appreciated.

yes, there are multiple data bases in the access folder (drive s). user can open all other access data bases except this one. All security settings and permissions are the same.

Is this Database split into a front end/back end configuration, with each user having a copy of the front end (with everything except Tables in it) and the back end (with Tables) on a shared drive?

Hope this helps!

There's always more than one way to skin a cat!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

No, it is not split front/back end configuration. I have never had a problem with it before until they upgraded the server. I have found that if the access program itself is opened first, then the DB can be opened. It doesnt work if using the desk top shortcut is used. But on other PC's it does. I have checked the security settings and there is nothing different on either machines.

Not splitting the FE/BE is asking for trouble with a multi-user environment. When a user opens the Access database it creates a lock file, which may not normally be an issue, but when a second user opens the Access database, it sees that there a lock file (but 'created' by the first user). Thus if the first user exits Access before the second user, Windows and Access can get confused. FYI: If you are on a Novell network it can be worse. Our team was able to split an Access database that was being used by 20 users (after many restores from backup because the DB got corrupted). No problems now (back end is now MS-SQL).

Having multiple users sharing a single, non-split database, sitting on a network drive, is the sure way to repeated episodes of corruption, speed and timing issues (timing coming to mind from your description) as well as all manner of odd things happening! Multiple users simply have to work off of a split database, with each user having their own copy of the Front End, which contains everything except the data/tables, on their respective hard drives, and a Back End with only the Tables on a shared drive.

Being in forced retirement, I spend 8-10 hours a day here and on other Access forums/newsgroups, and over the past ten years have seen dozens and dozens of reports of non-split apps causing all kind of problems! The really insidious thing is that a non-split app can work for extended periods of time before the troubles begin! But once it does, they become chronic, which is to say they occur over and over and over again!

Linq ;0)>

Hope this helps!

There's always more than one way to skin a cat!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back