Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Multiuser environments 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhaag

Programmer
Apr 17, 2003
US
what is a good benchmark to use to determine if i should use access in a file-server environment verses converting the back end db to sql server and converting the front end to an ADP? I have an access application that is in need of some modifications and now the client is talking about making this app available nationwide so the user base is going to increase. Currently, the app is an access front end that connects to an access backend located on a network share using link tables.

j

j

now the client is talking about making this app available nationwide so the user base is going to increase.

How big of a nation? Are we talking USofA size, or Lichtenstein size?

There are a couple of considerations here.

1) how good is your network infrastructure? The ride is only as good as the roadway underneath.

2) How many potential CONCURRENT users? Any more than about 20-50, depending on data traffic, and you will probably see major league degradation.

3) is your SQL SERVER dba group competant?

As you will find, there is no pat answer for some of these questions. Every situation is different. The only constants are the Access acts as a file server when network based, and SQL server CAN be more efficient as passing just result sets to the client. That, and the fact that SQL costs more are probably the only hard and fast facts.

I'm sure there will be additional voices heard in this choir...

Jim

Me? Ambivalent? Well, yes and no....
Another free Access forum:
More Access stuff at

nationwide is usa and canada, but only about 6 actual locations. I am assuming at this point that the user base wont exceed 50 concurrent connections. I havent worked with the SQL Server DBA group but since this client has DBAs for just about every database that has ever existed, i will assume they are competant.

thanks for the quick response, it is helpful to know the
limitations of ms access.

j

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back