Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access MDB data into OWC Spreadsheet - HELP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarryMVS

IS-IT--Management
Apr 17, 2003
GB
Hi,

I am trying to use an SQL lookup query to extract data from an Access MDB and place it into the Excel OWC Spreadsheet object using ASP.

I have managed to produce the ASP script and create the Spreadsheet object. I have writen my SQL and I know that it works OK. The problem I have now is trying to get the SQL results into the spreadsheet object.

I know you can import data into the object using various routes including XML, but I don't know how to convert the SQL results into XML or directly in to the Spreadsheet.

Any ideas would be most welcomed.

Thanks,

Barry

ICT Network Administrator
IT Services Manager

Have you tried the CopyFromRecordset method of the Range object ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

PHV,

No. I don't have any help info on how to use OWC some I'm kinda guessing and trying to see what works.

I can not find any practical info on Microsoft's KB or MSDN.

If you could elaborate on that method or point me to a web site I would be greatful.

Thanks,

Barry

IT Services Manager

Take a look at the Excel VBA Object Browser and Help file.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

PHV,

Thanks for the advice.

I've locaited the VB help and looked up various OWC VB commands, including the CopyFromRecordset method.

I have put it into play but I am not getting any data into my sheet.

In fact the only thing being returned is the first field header!

The code that I put in has come from the VB help regarding the CopyFromRecordset method.

Code:
StrSql = "SELECT Customers.[Their Branch Ref], Customers.[Address Line 3], [Service Records].[Date Call Placed], [Service Records].[Problem Description], [Service Records].[Service Record ID], Employees.Initials, [Service Records].[Last Action], Customers.[Last Site Visit], [Status Codes].Description AS Status FROM ((Customers RIGHT JOIN [Service Records] ON Customers.[Customer ID] = [Service Records].[Customer ID]) LEFT JOIN Employees ON [Service Records].[Employee ID] = Employees.[Employee ID]) LEFT JOIN [Status Codes] ON [Service Records].Status = [Status Codes].Status WHERE ((([Service Records].[Date Call Placed])>= #" & startdate & "# And ([Service Records].[Date Call Placed])<= #" & enddate &"#) AND ((Customers.Group)=" & groupid &")) ORDER BY [Service Records].[Service Record ID];" ' copy SQL from SAMS mdb for report look up.
    Set rsExport = conn.Execute (StrSql) 

For iCols = 0 to rsExport.Fields.Count - 1
		oOrdersSheet.Cells(1, iCols + 1).Value = rsExport.Fields(iCols).Name
	Next
		oOrdersSheet.Range(oOrdersSheet.Cells(1, 1), _
	oOrdersSheet.Cells(1, rsExport.Fields.Count)).Font.Bold = True
	oOrdersSheet.Range("A2").CopyFromRecordset rsExport
The variables startdate, enddate & groupid are going to be supplied by a form once I have finnished all this first, but for the moment I have hard coded the variable to be equivilant to a data range that I know exists.

The only response I get is the first field name in A2. Is this because the Range is set to only A2?
If so, how can I work out the range from the Recordset as it will change every time.

If you can give me any advice on my mistake, I would be greatful.

Thanks,

Barry

IT Services Manager

PHV,

I resolved the above problem. It would seem that the example script that Microsoft gives you trys to put the whole of your recordset into just cell A2!!

I do, however, have a new problem.

I have now got all of my recordset appearing in my OWC object. I have tried to add some addititonal information to the top of my spreadsheet by using the following code:
Code:
For iCols = 0 to rsExport.Fields.Count - 1
		oOrdersSheet.Cells(5, iCols + 1).Value = rsExport.Fields(iCols).Name
	Next
		oOrdersSheet.Range(oOrdersSheet.Cells(5, 1), _
	oOrdersSheet.Cells(5, rsExport.Fields.Count)).Font.Bold = True
	oOrdersSheet.Range("A5:I" & x & "").CopyFromRecordset rsExport
	oOrdersSheet.Range("A2").Value = "Call-out Status Report"
	oOrdersSheet.Range("A3").Value = rsName.Fields("Company Name").Value
	oOrdersSheet.Range("D2").Value = "From:"
	oOrdersSheet.Range("E2").Value = startdate
	oOrdersSheet.Range("D3").Value = "To:"
	oOrdersSheet.Range("E3").Value = enddate

Now if I run my spreadsheet construction page with out specifying the OWC object, I can open my spreadsheet straight into Excel. If I do this then the additional information appears as I want it to above line 5.

If I run the script with the OWC object then the additional information gets missed and the top line of my spreadsheet is line 5 containing the field names!

I am somewhat stumpped by this and would be most greatful for any advice on how I might be able to correct this.

Thanks,

Barry

IT Services Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back