Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access-list behavior when applied to "inside" interface 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

asafayan

IS-IT--Management
Aug 2, 2001
US
If I apply the following access-list to the "inside" interface:

access-list frominside deny tcp any host x.x.x.x

Is the behavior the same as the router IOS code? IOW, is their a implied deny any any and basically no other traffic will be allowed from the "inside" interface subnet through the PIX, UNLESS it is specifically allowed with a permit statement?

TIA

Yizhar,

Do I have to re-apply the access-group statement everytime I make an entry in the access-list?

Hi,

I was on the Cisco beta-team for the PDM. It is far better now than it was in it's original incarnation.

BTW, I am at a new site and they are running a PIX 520 with 5.3(2) code. They are running ACLs, not conduits...do you know of any serious issues with just upgrading this device to 6.14 GD code? They have a boat-load of ACLs, SSH, Websense, a few alias commands...basically nothing that would seem to be a problem. I am just concerned that maybe some CLI syntax has changed and may not convert over accurately to the new 6.14 code.

Regards,

Amir

HI.

Why not upgrade to the latest 6.2x version?

With the few upgrades that I have done, it was a small and simple scenario and I reconfigured it even if it was not needed, so I don't know the answer.

In general, the ACL syntax is the same, but some other defaults have changed that might affect the proccess.

If you have a program or script to analyze syslog messages, then you should know that version 6.2 changes them.

Bye
Yizhar Hurwitz

I believe your question was:

"Yizhar,

Do I have to re-apply the access-group statement everytime I make an entry in the access-list? "

The answer to that is yes, your command
no access-list frominside
wipes the list and unapplies it from the interface it was applied to.
Bud

Thanks Packethead. I understand why you would have to re-apply the access-group statement if you killed the access-list with a "no access-list" statement...what I asked Yizhar was whether you had to re-apply the access-group statement if you added to an existing access-list.

Allow me to help beat this semi-dead horse. the anwer is more likely to be: It depends.

Let's say your access-list was nthing more than a dny statement:
access-list frominside deny ip any host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Now you wanted to add HTTP access out. In this case you would NOT have to reapply the access-list. You just type in:
access-list frominside permit tcp any any eq www

Your access-list would now be the following two lines:
access-list frominside deny ip any host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
access-list frominside permit tcp any any eq www

If you wanted to add another permit statement, you still would NOT have to reapply the access-list.

Nopw let's say you wanted to deny another host. In this case you WILL have to reapply the access-list. This is because you need this deny statement above all the permits since ACLs match from first rule down.

Thanks for that clarification. ACLs and their behavior are serious mind-benders...I don't know about you, but I have to look at them very carefully to fully grasp the effect. Particularly when your PIX has 120 entries over 4 interfaces! I just inherited this network/firewall and am trying to get my arms around it. Many of them are ACLs applied to the INSIDE interface to filter "outbound" traffic.

HI Again.

Having long access-list is another reason to upgrade - the latest version has something called "turbo access-list" which is supposed to speed up acl proccessing.
I didn't try it in the field but it may improve your pix performance.

There are also new "grouping" options that can help you make a more readable and manageable configuration.

Bye
Yizhar Hurwitz

We do outbound ACLs on all our interfaces. My biggest firewall is a PIX 535 with 10 interfaces and approximately 170 lines in ACLs. I tried the turbo ACL , but it didn't seem to do much if anything. This was probably due to the fact that a 535 is pretty fast in it's own right. I'd like to try it on a 515 some day.

I've always felt having outbound ACLs is a good idea because it applies fw best practice "that which is not permitted is denied," and you'd be surprised what ports are going out your firewall!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back