Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access is denied

Status
Not open for further replies.

furious5

MIS
Jan 8, 2003
GB
I am currently trying to open an excel document from the server.

When I try and open the document, it is read only. When I try and copy it, I get the following error:

"Access is denied: the source file may be in use"

This file has recently been copied over from another Win2K server.

Any ideas about how I can get around this, I tried attrib *.* -r but get access is denied in dos.

Any ideas, what is causing the problem?

I should also say, looking in the file properties it is set to ready for archiving.

When I try and change this setting, I get the following error:

An error occured applying the attributes to the file

d:\excel.xls

Access is denied.

Could this be something to do with Win2K file encryption?

Try using the administrator account to take ownership of the file, this should clear any security setting applied to it.

/Troop

I have taken ownership of the top level directory as administrator and applied this to all subcontainers and objects but still no joy.

EFS if was applied you should see this in the properties/advanced of that file.

Can you access the security settings of that file?
Did you copy or move it?

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K
new: (just started)

EFS was not applied, I have removed file is ready for arching from the top level directory and applied this to this file.

I used a file synchronisation tool to syncronise the 2 trees, so guess the files would have been copied.

Which file synchronization tool??
If that tool is active, or who knows what is doing there, then maybe your file is locked.

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K
new: (just started)

I just used a freeware app called TreeComp, the app isn't running.

I've checked to make sure no one has an active connection to the file I am having problems with.

I should also say, I've tried moving the file in question between server's but I just get the access is denied error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back