Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access has detected corruption in this file... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dominicdunmow

Technical User
Jul 28, 2004
CA

I've gone into a database that I administer for the first time in a week or so, on opening I now get a message saying Access has detected a corruption in this file.

I can get into the database but cannot run queries etc, when I click on anything I get the corrupt message. The all data is held in backend databases so I have not lost anything. All the backends seem okay, it appears to be the opening form that contains the corruption. My weekly backups are now backups of the corrupt file. I cannot repair and compact as the database opens during this and gives the corrupt message again.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get round this? Is there any way to copy and paste a form out of one database and into another?

Thanks

You can download the JetComp.exe off Microsoft's website and use that to do the compact/repair instead of the built-in feature. It is much more thorough and will repair the database even if it is so corrupt it cannot be opened.

Hope this helps and good luck.

I've tried this but it still doesn't work.

The MDE file that I made do work. Is there anyway of creating an MDB from and MDE file?

Is there anyway of creating an MDB from and MDE file?
In a MDE the source code is LOST.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Going from an MDB to an MDE is a one way street. As for copying/pasting forms, you can just delete it out of the corrupt database and import it from a backup (File, Get external data, import, etc) If the form is the only problem this should work fine.

First, thanks to ChopinFan for the information about JetComp.exe. Definitely worth a star!

Secondly, if you do need to copy objects such as forms from one database to another:

-- Go to the File ... Get External Data ... Import menu option.
-- Choose the .mdb file you want to import from, and click the [Import] button.
-- You will now see a tabbed form, from which you can choose Tables, Forms etc. as required
-- Note that the [Options] button lets you do useful things such as importing a table with / without its data.

This might let you salvage some database objects from a damaged database into a clean, empty database - but I do not know if it will work if the original file is badly damaged.

I hope that this is of some help.

Bob Stubbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back