Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access good for inventory software

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSBrando

MIS
Mar 26, 2004
US
Hello all, I'm new to MS Access. I just finished a book on it, and I was hoping to find 2 things that maybe can't be done? My purpose is to use this software for inventory management.

First:
When you are in a form,the only way to go from one item in a form to another is by clicking the arrow. What if you have hundreds of items and the ones you need are not close to each other when using the arrow to go from one item to another. I was hoping the lookup wizard could solve this problem. Please correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like my fundamental problem is that I would have to have the table kind of "look" at itself for any real solution. Either that or have 2 identical tables which I won't do for data integrity reasons. I find that everytime I think I have a solution for it, it seems it will only work with a different table. Whether it's a drop down menu or sub form doesn't matter as long as I have a way to see all of the items and be able to pick them (that's the key, to see them and then pick them so I can update the inventory on that item). Kind of like switching to datasheet view, high lighting the item and then switching back to form view.

The other thing I was hoping to do was to "gray" out some of the fields. For instance, my inventory form has a field for the name of the item, description, threshold for amount in stock, reordering amount, etc. I want it set up so that if I have somebody else updating the inventory, they can see all of the fields, but can't accidentily change the information. The only field I want them to be able to change is the current inventory field.

I really hope that Access can do these things. I'm not sure if MS Access is often used for inventory, but if it is, if somebody can point me in the direction of sample databases, tutorials, even a class that might be helpful, it would be grately appreciated.

Thanks.

I won't have too many items in the list box, maybe 30 - 50 at the most, maybe not even that. But I might incorporate that attached query in the future, definitely if it gets too big or I see a long load time.

Sorry, but what is a Point Of Sale.

I haven't looked at VBA yet, but if you happen upon the sample you used, that would be cool, if not, no big deal, I figured I'd have to get into it eventually.

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back