Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access + FrontPage web based/updated db...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SQLBI

IS-IT--Management
Jul 25, 2003
GB
Hi,

I've been asked to develop an Access DB to updated via a FrontPage wesite.

Now creating the db and the site are not a problem for me, however this will be the first time i've linked the 2 together and was wondering if anyone had any tips/tricks or experiences that they'd like to share. Especially any pitfalls that are likely to catch me out.

Thanks in advance.

Leigh Moore
Solutions 4 MS Office Ltd

If you use the Database wizard in frontpage to design your forms, you will find that when you wish to make changes that MS has coded the forms so changes are difficult.

I suggest Peter Nortons book on VB6 and reviewing the ASP/vbscript portion for connecting to database. Very helpful and you can use your FrontPage to wrikte the ASP code.

Joe,

What about Data Access Pages...?

Had a little play with them and they seem straight forward enough.

Am i correct in saying that there would need to be an instance of the db on the Web Server and another one linked to it on the clients local machine?

Thanks,

Leigh Moore

Hi Leighmoore,

Connecting to an access db via a website is pretty straight forward. Never used FrontPage myself so ignore me if this is of no use, have always hand coded the connections using ASP etc...

You can set up a system DSN, connect via ADO and manipulate the data how you want. Would you like me to post some example code?

Nell1

Nell1,

I can use ADO to create/manipulate recordsets using VBA/VB quite effectively, but if you feel you have any code that may be useful, fell free to let me have it, either here or by email. (Via website below.)

Thanks for you help.

Leigh Moore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back