Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access from Web

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoyDelicious

Technical User
Jul 23, 2002
US
Wow where do I start.

I've installed mySQL through YaST (SuSE 9.0 Pro).

I have no problems accessing the mysqld or mysql.

Although when I attempt to access it from the web (phpmyadmin), I come up with a "unable to connect /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock". Well this isn't anything new. By default YaST installs this to /var/lib/mysql/mysql. I've done the needed alterations in my.cnf (that I know of). So I'm stuggling when it comes up yet again through the webserver. If apache 2 points to /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock by default where can I edit this? Thanks in advance. I'm sure this is something really stupied that I missed.

phpmyadmin need to have the config.inc.php page altered to match the username / password/ server details for your installation...

Bastien

Cat, the other other white meat

This has been done as well. I ended up reinstalling mySQL without YaST2. This pointed the mysql.sock to /tmp/mysql.sock. At that point I figured I'd better just reinstall everything. I reinstalled php4 mod and core. After it all I started the bad boy back up. Still the same error.

Can't connect to socket: /var/lib/mysql/mysql/mysql.sock

Which had been the YaST default install. I then almost lost it. Looking for any traces of the altered path put me at wits end. My php.ini file was blank, the new install of mySQL should even look in that area for mysql.sock!

After picking around the system for what I conspired in my head to be "hidden" files. I edited the new blank /etc/php.ini (pointed default socket = /tmp/mysql.sock), restarted apache2, and gave er another shot. This one was sucessful.

All in all, anyone having these troubles check the following files to alter the mysql.sock path:

/etc/php.ini
/etc/my.cnf

After starting the mysql daemon (mysqld -u root start)
Look for mysqld.sock in the following areas:

/var/lib/mysql/
/var/lib/mysql/mysql/
/tmp/

When making changes to confige files remember to start/stop the service.

The following statement is due to my own ignorance with YaST and .rpm's in general:

I would suggest not using YaST or rpm's in general for installing. My experience has not been a good one so far (KDE upgrade and LAMP install).

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back