Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

access from cable modem to dial up network

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrissavage

Programmer
May 24, 2001
GB
I have been told it is impossible to connect to a dial-up network from my cable modem connection. Is this true?

My company asked me to start working from home where I have a fast cable modem connection. But now I am told the only connection to their network they will allow is dial-up (aparently for security reasons!). They want me to go back to using a dial-up ISP.

Any response on this subject will be gratefully receieved.

Chris Savage

I don't understand why you couldn't connect, providing the dial-up network utilizes IP addresses.

Let me check with co-worker here when he returns to work. He may know for sure--I'll get back w/ you.

Steve Home: SRFlanigan@home.com
Work: Steve@regionalinternetmedia.com

DILBERT FOR PRESIDENT!

Hi, Chris.

If your company has internet access, either via T1, ISDN or otherwise, why not implement a VPN solution? That would allow the secure connection your company requires and the faster connection you would like.

hNT

Thanks for your responses.

The problem I have is that company I work for is a very small and unimportant cog in a large wheel. We are bound by the direction our holding company force us in. So if they say all we can have is dial up access via a telephone number to the network and no vpn then we have to live with that, as crazy as that decision may be.

Chris Savage

In other words, your holding company has a lazy network administrator who thinks he has better things to do than to do a simple upgrade to your system. Shame on them.

However, you mentioned that they want you to 'go back to using a dial-up ISP'. I don't think that's the case. With the system you're referring to, you directly dial-in to your company's server through the telephone line with your modem, without going anywhere through the Internet or any ISP. That's why it's so secure. You can have both a cable modem and a dialup modem on the same computer, and simply switch between the two when needed. You just need to get the necessary intructions for setting up your modem and dial-up networking to connect with the company machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back