Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Forms / Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbvcbr

IS-IT--Management
Mar 4, 2007
US

I created form in MS Access 2000 / XP, put it on the network,but for some reason, all users cannot use this form at a time. One user only can use this a time. Is there anyway I can fix this to use this form by all users. Do I have to change form properties, or change network setup ?
Thank you,

Is your database set up to have a backend (on the network) and a frontend (on each users computer)? If not, it is advisable that you do this.

What happens when another user tries to use the form? Does it give them an error message? If so what is it?

Lena

Continuing on this issue,
if user A is using this form, and then
if user B tries to access the same, is there
any way I can tell user B, a message saying
"some other users are using the from, please wait until they finish using it."

Need help with this please.
Thanks,

Did you see the questions that I posted for you to answer? You shouldn't be getting an error when two people have the same form open.

I am sure there is a way to do what you are asking but it seems that the problem should be solved at why two people can't have the same form open and not try to find a work around that may/will come with issues in itself.

Lena

No luck yet. For some reason, if second user tries to
use the same form, access picks up an old form (it was an old form with few fields only, though this form was deleted from the database).

To put this to bed, I like to get an answer,
if userA is using the form, then if userB tries to use
the same form, is there any way I can popup a message box, saying "Form is in use. Try later". Help me with this please.

other question answer, No. I do not know how put it as 'open exclusive'. If this helps advise me.
Thanks.

As mentioned above, you really want to split your database into a back end (containing just your data tables) and a front end (containing all other db objects). The back end is stored on the network, and each user has a separate copy of the front end on their PC. In Access 2003, there is a tool to do this located under Tools/Database Utilities/Database Splitter.

You want your database to open Shared. Set this by going to Tools/Options/Advanced, then choosing 'Shared' under the Default Open Mode selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back