Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access, Exe and an Intranet

Status
Not open for further replies.

timferris

IS-IT--Management
Feb 20, 2001
GB
Hi there

What I want to do seems rather simple but then not so simple.

This is the situation:

We have 20 Access Databases (not in ASP) and we have a few access databases that have been given an ASP front end.

I have built a front end for the intranet and on this I would like to list all the databases (asp and access). The users would be able to click on them and if it was an ASP page then goes to the link and if not it starts up the access application on their machine.

Is shell's the right path to be going down? I did install ASPExec on the server, but then realised that all that did was run the mdb on the server and not on the users machines.

Thoughts??

Tim

I would approach this in a slightly different way.

firstly use FilySystemObject to parse the directory listing.

Grab the file extension to a variable called file_xtn or whatever. (use mid to get it)

lenname = len(filename)
lentoxtn = lenname - 3
file_xtn = mid(filename, lentoxtn, 3)

select case file_xtn
case is = "mdb"
' do the mdb bit here
case is = "asp"
' stick in a hyperlink here
end select

the mdb bit can be done fairly easily

the hyperlink becomes a "file....." link pointing to the default location for msaccess, and so on. A bit like a shortcut on the desktop which provides the name of the application and the database.

One thing to note, will be that due to default permissions, should a user open an MDB through your http server, they will not be able to update it. So it might be better to allow them to download the database instead.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back