Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access/Excel automation or data sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

stonewal

Technical User
Sep 26, 2000
US
I am using Access 97 for a costing system and would like to be able to open an Excel sheet at the click of a button, do some visible calculations in Excel and transfer the results data (several cells) back to Access before closing (and possibly saving) the new instance of Excel. I can get Excel open through CreateObject but how do I copy the results back? It seems so simple! I have looked through the MSDN but this situation doesn't seem to be covered.

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Here's what I do:

In the spreadsheet, create a named range with the data you want to include in your database.

In the database, create a linked table, linking to the named range in the spreadsheet.

If you want to add this new data to an existing table, create an append query to pull it from the linked table and add it to the existing one.

The only thing you can't do (or at least I can't do) is modify the spreadsheet while you've got the linked table open.

I will try your suggestion ASAP. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back