Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access example and case study

Status
Not open for further replies.

skarosi

Programmer
Jan 25, 2004
GR
Hi all.
I am teaching a class of high school graduates their first database course, using Access. We have talked about everything and they seem to understand the procedure of creating a simple db, but i think that they need something more.
I was thinking that it would be a great idea to give them a simple case study with all the information they need, so they can work out the database from the given information. It will be much more useful than suppling them with the table properties.
The problem is that i cant find anywhere simple examples for Access to meet their level and I think it is quite difficult to create one out of my head within the time i have(till Monday).
Do u know any site/book that might help?

Thanks alot, Ilias

Sup?

I would suggest creating one of your own. I mean, simply perusing the forums here can give you a slew of ideas on how Access is being used. Most of my experience is taking Excel-based systems and converting them to a database system.

For instance, my first database took 2 workbooks of sales data and converting them to an Access 2K database. So provide the students with some bogus data in an excel sheet. The way Excel is usually used is from an end user... so the excel sheet should be what the reports should look like. Let them figure the tables.

Another example that is has been used in a number of classes I've had in database is the school example - manage class attendance, class enrollment, grades, professors, etc.

That's how I'd tackle your situation.

"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid."
-Murphy's Military Laws

Yes, after some hours searching the web, i decided to create my own case study for a dvd rental store. It took me a while, but it is as simple as they can handle right now.
I was thinking of a school databse, but gave them an example like that few weeks back, so it wouldnt be a great idea.
thanks though

That is funny because the DVD rental store has to be the standard in all first database classes. You see it constantly on this site, "I am the manager of a small DVD rental store....". After a few questions it is clear that they are not a manager but student looking for an easy answer to a homework problem. So I am thinking there has to be a lot of examples and templates dealing with the DVD rental.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back