Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access email through the internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LesNicholls

Technical User
Dec 25, 2001
GB
I believe it is possible to access exchange emails through the Internet, so that for example if people are at home they can pick up their emails? How do I do this, and how would they access them through a web browser form home etc..?

Thanx

This is possible to do by installing web access for exchange 5.5 (comes with exchange) then all you need to do is type This will then give you a log in box.

For users to be able to do this from home your server needs to be open to the valid IP address for the web)or dial up access for your users eg modem attached to server.

Hi

I just set this up, really very easy, install the program from the Exchange CD as people2 said, this used IIS so that needs to be installed also. It pretty much configures it all for you. All I did then was contact our ISP to get a DNS name set up for the service (nicer than giving people a IP address) changed my internal DNS to match the external DNS name (but pointing to the internal address) opened my firewall to let HTTP port 80 access to the machine (have changed it to HTTPS since, but thats another story).

Sorry gone on a bit there, let us know if you have any problems!!

Simon

Couple more things to watch - if you install OWA on the Exchange box be careful. Someone in this forum last year but it on and accidentally removed Exchange at the time cos they cleared the Exchange server box!!! Minor oops.

Make sure you are running SP4 on Exchange and then go to windowsupdate and fit EVERY security patch possible as your server is vulnerable even behind a firewall.

Your internal DNS doesn't need to match as far as I know but I live to be told I'm wrong...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back