Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Denied

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcowern

Technical User
Oct 9, 2000
US
I'm trying to back up several boxes which require no passwords to connect. They are all failing with a reason "Unable to connect, Access is denied" I can map drives and connect remotely using PC Anywhere from the backup box where BE is installed, yet I still get failures. Has anybody had experience with this before? [sig][/sig]

what acct are your backup exec services using? that acct, not the one you logon with, is what will be used to try and attach to your remote systems. if it does not have access to those machines your backups will fail. try logging on to the backup exec server using the same acct as the services and then attempt to map a drive. it will probably fail. change the acct for BE or give that acct rights on the remote systems.

Thanks for the response, seniorpete. I should add that we are using one BE box to back up servers on 2 domains. I have checked the user permissions for the BE user, and that's not the problem. I can map drives no problem, the only way I can't connect is through BE. What's worse, we have several boxes set up on both domains that are exactly the same. Some fail, and some don't. Anyway, I thought the problem was domain related, but I have failures and successes on both domains, all the failures are "Unable to attach: Access Denied". Has anyone had problems backing up across domains? I been through the tech notes, but so far their suggestions haven't yielded any results.

Yes, the Veritas site suggest that you use the Domain Administrator account to start all Backup Exec services. I did that I while back and it worked. The demon is back though. We changed the Domain Admininstrator password and adjusted the services to match. I think this is where my problems started. I definitely not happy about having to use this account to start the services but .....

If your problem occurs with schedualed backups and you are running a firewall it may be that the firewall is blocking intranet traffic when the target machines are in screen saver mode. Turning off the screen saver or reconfiguring the firewall might solve the problem.

Hello. I am very inexperienced but I may have a solution for you because I am sort-of experiencing the same problem. Have you tried to use the "Beattach.exe" program for attaching servers to the database server(Backup Exec server). This program can also be used to configure Backup Exec and controlling the services of Backup Exec.
The defauly for this program is Program files\Veritas\Backup Exec\NT

For more info on this refer to the Veritas web site and do a search of the knowledge base for passwords, all subjects or the book that came with the software.

Just so you know this utility may not be for all versions of BE. I am working on 7.3.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
tracy

I had the same "unable to attach. Access is denied" error message.
I called Support and they sent me the following procedure which works for me:
1. Close BE
2. Close BE services
3. Browse to :\Program Files\Veritas\Backup Exec\NT\Data
4. Rename Bewinui.uni to Bewinui.old
5. Start BE services
6. Start BE
7. Run a test backup using the same servers\drives

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search